Thursday, May 05, 2005

saul paul says...

So my laptop has died.



Well it is almost dead at least. The death is not official, and I am waiting on a Dell guy to call me up and let me know when he can come over and perform an autopsy. Because I need my computer; its like a limb I just can not function without. Especially as an English major. Yes I have other things to study, but I can't concentrate on French or Anthropology when my Inspiron 8500 is dying on the desk!



Basically the computer tkes 15 minutes to turn on. Then no toolbar shows up. I can't open any programs. The CPU is at 100%. The computer gets hots. It maks me mad. I can't even do anything in Safe Mode. So the Dell guy I talked to on the phone, his name was Saul or Paul or something American (I'll just call him Saul Paul), is sending me a new motherboard, a new screen (because mine is loose), a new keyboard (I think this was just an added bonus), and a new palm-rest, mousepad thing. I asked if I could just get a whole new computer, but he said no. Because I am pretty sure Dr. Dell is going to have to reformat everything. My dad said I could make him do it, so I am going to.



Dr. Dell guy and I will sit in the lobby of the residence hall, and he will fix my computer while not talking to me. Because these guys don't talk. Saul Paul and I sat on the phone for 52 minutes. Many of those minutes were filled with silence because he didn't say anything and I had cried my eys out before calling him. I thought about crying while on the phone with Saul Paul, but it would have been a little too strange to be comforted by Saul Paul who has no idea what I look like and already thought I was dumb because I asked stupid questions so he would TALK and I didn't feel like such a total loser.



I have a special number to call to find out about the status of everything. I think I am going to have to phone it after class because I have yet to receive an e-mail from Saul Paul that I was told to expect. He probably got the e-mail address wrong. At this point I am worried he got everything wrong because the guy just didn't seem to understand the words and letters that were coming out of my mouth. I think he took to calling me Waleslie as we were on the phone. So if I get a package for Waleslie the post office better let me pick it up. It is, after all, my motherboard and I NEED IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your laptop, hun. :-\ I know that's not any fun to go through, and it really IS like losing a limb.

But, as someone who has done phone technical support for five years, don't feel like a loser when we don't talk to you. :) I hate when the person I'm talking to tries to make small talk. I'm usually chatting or knitting while I'm on my call.. lol.