Monday, May 19, 2008

Proof That I Am Overly Obsessed With "The Hills"


I returned from Cangzhou, China in August after a month of teaching English. Upon my return, I was determined to simplify my life and to strengthen the relationships I had with my team members. After spending nearly two weeks in Michigan where I relaxed, read, took far too many pictures, enjoyed the beach, ate turkey sandwiches from Subway and almost nothing else, and ate lots of fudge, I moved back into my apartment with the same goals.

One of the first things I did was go through all the rooms of the apartment and put the things I no longer needed or wanted into plastic garbage bags. For a few weeks, these bags sat in the living room, and then they moved onto the balcony. I had every intention of taking these bags to Goodwill; I just never got around to it. Living on the third floor makes it so I don't really want to lug heavy bags down the stairs and into my car.

For reasons I'm still not quite sure of, I let go of the goal of simplifying my life, and instead, I embarked on an adventurous two months of the life Audrina, Lauren, and Lo live out every week on "The Hills."

During these two months, I truly felt as though I were living the life of a reality star. There was drama. There were boys. There was love, not in those two months, but the love of my life did enter the picture at the tail end of those adventurous two months.

I acquired the nickname LA during the time from a dear friend of mine who is lucky enough to live in New York City and who was loving enough to listen and read as I depicted the craziness of my life during this time. If only a television crew had been there. I might have been the next Lauren Conrad. She did, after all, inspire my nickname.

I don't miss those two months explicitly. I miss some of the people, and sometimes, I miss the thrill of living a crazy life. But then I remember what I have, and I know I'm where I am meant to be. Still, looking around my apartment and seeing everything in boxes, trunks, suitcases, and duffle bags, I feel as though this is almost a reality tv show moment. Only, it's a happier moment than when Heidi moved out of her apartment with Lauren and in with Spencer.

And the song that will be playing as I say goodbye to my best friend and roommate of three years? "Sweet and Low" by Augustana. Bittersweet with a sense of hope, just like my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

harry edward!